Friday, January 15, 2010

Single to My Glory

"And if your eye be single to my glory, your whole bodies shall be filled with light, and there shall be no darkness in you..." (D&C 88:67) As I was pondering this today, I was thinking how easy it is to see people that aren't completely filled with light. But I was also thinking of some people, several people in fact, that I couldn't say that they aren't completely filled with light. But common sense got the best of me to know that people are not perfect and that all the people I was thinking of probably weren't really perfect, or even completely "filled with light." (I'm not sure they have to be synonymous.) But the second part of that scripture helped me think back to some earlier parts of that section. "... and that body which is filled with light comprehendeth all things." So perhaps you can only comprehend to the level at which your own light is filled, and recognize that level of comprehension in others. Verse 49 states "The light shineth in darkness, and the darkness comprehendeth it not..."

I guess the point of my thoughts is that we all have a responsibility to increase the light within us. The counsel is given in verses 118 and 119. "And as all have not faith seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith. Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God."

"For intelligence cleaveth unto intelligence; wisdom receiveth widsom; truth embraceth truth; virtue loveth virtue; light cleaveth unto light; mercy hath compassion on mercy and claimeth her own; justice continueth its course and claimeth its own;" Doctrine & Covenants 88:40

No comments: